Saturday, September 29, 2007

Genius

Had I decided to pursue my long-time goal of becoming a music and pop culture writer, I would want to be Chuck Klosterman. Maybe not exactly the same, since I would like to remain a somewhat attractive female and not be turned into an awkward looking guy. For most of you who have no clue who Chuck Klosterman is, he's a writer (obviously) who writes for SPIN, GQ, Esquire and has written some cool books.
That all said, I'm a huge Klosterman fan. His writing is very witty, funny and is full of hilariously accurate comments on society. I decided against trying to be a pop culture writer partly because as witty and funny as I may be in real life, it often doesn't come across in my writing. My roommate likes to make fun of how much I like Klosterman, but what does he know. I'm working my way through an anthology of Klosterman's articles that I borrowed (stole) from Pete, and one of them touches on bands being underrated or overrated, he then lists the 10 most accurately rated bands. He discusses the accuracy of Matthew Sweet, Triumph, Tone Loc and then right in the midde of his list is 100 words of brilliance.

The Beatles are generally seeen as the single-most impotant rock band of all time, allegedly because they wrote all the best songs. Since both of these suppositions are true, the Beatles are rated properly by everyone.
From Chuck Klosterman IV - a Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas

See isn't he awesome?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll even grudgingly admit Helter Skelter is a great "rock" song.
But I don't know about the rest. Maybe "pop-rock"...all sickingly sweet and bubbly...just like the candy. Yellow Submarine any one?

That being said, check this out. Instead of sweet and bubbly pop-rock, how about snap, crackle & pop-rock? Feel free to pass this on to your mop-top rock friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZBmhEMFdl0

10:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home